English website

Registering a motor vehicle

Motor vehicles are registered and license plates are assigned at the Vehicles Licensing Authority at the Citizens Service Center.

Required documents:

  • Logbook / motor vehicle certificate of title (Kfz-Brief)
  • Proof of insurance
  • Residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis)
  • Passport or identification card

If you want to register a used car, you will also need:

  • Vehicle registration document (Fahrzeugschein)
  • Number plates
  • TÜV/AU (mechanical and exhaust control)

If the car is imported from abroad, additional documents are required.

A motor vehicle tax (Kfz-Steuer) must be paid, unless you are exempt from taxes. Vehicles must also pass a safety inspection by the Technical Supervision Agency (TÜV). The TÜV safety inspection has to be carried out every two years. EU nationals only need vehicle registration papers and a valid EU identification card.

Making an appointment:

Please contact the Vehicles Licensing Authority at the Citizens Service Center, Stadthaus, Berliner Platz 2, (Phone: 0228 776677) for further information.

Diplomats/Officials of International Organiations:

To register your private vehicle, please enquire beforehand at the Protocol Division/Bonn Office of the Federal Foreign Office (Außenstelle Protokoll Bonn), Adenauerallee 99-103 (entry via Tempelstraße), 53113 Bonn, Phone: 01888-17-4695. The necessary formalities will be explained to you there. For further information, visit

Save & share

explanations and notes


  • B. Wylezich - Fotolia

We only use technically necessary cookies on as well as the web analysis tool Matomo for statistical evaluation in an anonymous form. You will find further information and notes on adjusting the data protection settings in the data protection declaration. Privacy policy ...