A local approach to a global challenge
Important steps into this direction were an initial energy and climate protection scheme, detailed CO2 accounting, and a comprehensive action plan.
The aim is
- to reduce energy input
- to use energy efficiently
- to replace fossil energy sources by renewable energy sources and
- to reduce CO2 emissions through sustainable mobility.
At the beginning of this decade, questions of resilience to climate change and its effects were increasingly brought to the fore. In Bonn, due to its location in the Rhine valley, the impacts of climate change go along with an especially problematic urban climate.
A mission statement on climate protection and adaptation forms part of Bonn’s comprehensive municipal Sustainability Strategy that was adopted in February 2019:
- GHG emissions in Bonn will be reduced by 40% by 2030 compared to 1990. This development will be monitored every two years
- The city will become a CO2-neutral society by the year 2050
- By 2050, Bonn’s energy supply will almost completely be generated from renewable energies
- The City of Bonn will continuously develop into a climate-resilient city, which will reduce vulnerability
Bonn’s City Council declared Climate Emergency in July to show that climate protection has the highest priority in all municipal action. At the same time, a strong signal was sent out for national and international legislation!
Together with more than 30 German fellow mayors, Bonn’s Mayor Ashok Sridharan has recently agreed on key principles for sustainable development, laying down the ambitious goal of becoming entirely climate neutral by the year 2035.
Climate Protection Coordinating Unit
A city such as Bonn has the potential to advance and control climate action and climate adaptation in various areas of activity. This involves city planning, energy supply and public relations as well as the political commitment in city networks.
In order to coordinate activities on climate protection and climate adaptation, the city administration has set up its own coordinating unit for climate protection. For example, it controls the city's internal climate protection management and is supported by representatives from a wide range of specialist areas. The climate action campaign sensitizes Bonn's citizens to climate protection and shows them alternative courses of action in their daily routine.
With regard to climate adaptation, the City of Bonn is pursuing the goal of continuously developing into a climate-dependent city. The main measures are: