In 2002, BIMUN/SINUB e. V., a non-profit organization, was founded by students of Bonn University with the goal to hold an annual Model United Nations conference. Our self-conception is based on the idea of raising awareness about issues of international significance and promoting the ideals of the United Nations, especially among younger people. The main focus of our work is to foster cultural exchange as well as political education and international understanding.
This year’s conference will be the 20th BIMUN/SINUB conference which will take place from the 26th until the 30th of November. The overall topic is: Human Rights in a Digitalizing World. We chose this topic due to the various challenges humankind faces in the digital age including: Climate change, human rights in relation to gender equality and data privacy as well as ethics of AI. We need to discuss these challenges and find possible solutions in order to establish a sustainable future for all of us.
For this special anniversary, we chose these committees with the following topics:
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP): BIMUN/SINUB offersthis committee as a trilingual committee in which the participants have thechance to debate in Spanish, French and English. The topic of the debate willbe related to women’s rights.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO): In this committee,participants will have the chance to debate about the future of our livelihoods inrelation to sustainable agriculture.
- Council of the European Union: The focus of this committee lies on artificialintelligence and privacy rights concerning our lives in the digital world.
- Crisis Committee: In this year’s crisis committee, participants will discuss themelting of the Arctic in combination with militarization issues in terms ofwhich states are claiming a part of the Arctic and how can this dispute beresolved.
- BIMUN Tribune: Our press team is not a committee in itself. Participants canjoin our conference as a journalist who will have the ability to influence theresults of the conference.