ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) is a global network of more than 1,750 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development. Active in 100+ countries, we influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission, nature-based, equitable, resilient and circular development. Our Members and team of experts work together through peer exchange, partnerships and capacity building to create systemic change for urban sustainability.
To support the Climate & Energy Action Team we are offering the following position:
Intern (for a mandatory internship)
The position is open to eligible and qualified Master students and PhD candidates, who have to conclude a mandatory internship as part of their studies.
An internship at ICLEI offers the opportunity to acquire direct practical experience on sustainability knowledge under the supervision of experienced staff. Internships are offered depending on the availability of meaningful assignments as well as the needs and capacity of the team to receive and supervise interns.
Interns will be a part of the international ICLEI World Secretariat (ICLEI WS) team based in Bonn, Germany and will be placed within the Climate & Energy Action Team.
In the view of the current COVID-19 pandemic, this position is also open to the possibility of remotely (partial) supervised internship.
The intern will:
• Assist the 100% Renewables Cities & Regions Roadmap project. This is ICLEI’s flagship renewable energy project and requires working closely with different team, partners and three ICLEI Regional Offices.
• Support with the process of data collection for energy modelling.
• Support the ICLEI WS team in preparing knowledge products (policy recommendations, case studies, etc.) related to 100% RE.
• Support in the implementation of the identified synergies between the 100% Renewables Cities & Regions Roadmap project and the 100% Renewables Cities & Regions Network.
• Support ICLEI WS team on the process for engaging cities to become part of the 100% Renewable Cities & Regions Network.
• Support the virtual and in-person capacity building activities on RE for local, regional and national governments.
• Support the business development, including project acquisition (relevant to climate and renewable energy).
• Generally support communication activities of the team and the carbonnCenter.
Professional Knowledge and Language Skills
Formal essential requirements:
• Being enrolled in a vocational training or university in a relevant subject, related to renewable energy such as engineering, management, urban planning, development studies, environmental science, or similar.
Professional requirements and behavioral competences:
• Proactive communication and excellent command of English (speaking, writing and reading). Additional language skills in Spanish and German are an asset.
• Strong writing skills (scientific reports, case studies, etc.).
• Strong analytical skills; competent in MS Office
• Positive, flexible and pro-active work attitude.
Terms and conditions
• ICLEI is offering a monthly compensation of EUR 880 gross per month (brutto/before taxes and social insurance) for the full time internship unless they benefit from a scholarship (in which case there will be no additional compensation).
• The position will be available for a period of minimum three months to maximum six months.
• Possible start date: August 2020
• The intern will be supervised by the Head of Climate & Energy Action
• Working hours: 40/week, 2,5 days of leave per full month
• Working language: English
• The employment contract will be based on German law.
• Due to legal requirements, applicants must have or be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
• Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship is also possible for a partial remote position through tele-supervision (potential for a few in-person meetings during on-boarding, as needed), until ICLEI ends the current “work from home” policy, after which then the intern will work at the ICLEI World Secretariat premises on a daily basis until the end of contract.
Please by email to careers.bonn at iclei.org. Please include “Intern – Climate & Energy Team” in the subject line, and include:
• A short letter of motivation, up to date CV, previous employment certificates and/or letters of reference (if these exist), all merged into one PDF file of up to 5 MB size.
In addition, please provide the following information in your email:
• Indication of citizenship; if non-EU, whether applicant is holder of a work permit/student visa for Germany (Do you have a work permit (or student visa) from German government that allows you to work as an intern alongside your studies?)
• Document form your university/vocational training center that you are enrolled and that this internship is mandatory
• Insurance: Do you have a German health insurance that could also be used for your internship?
• Funding/scholarship: Do you benefit from any funding/scholarship for your study? If yes, (1) please name the fund/scholarship and the organization providing it, and (2) does your funding cover the internship period?
• Indication of possible start date
• Indication of envisaged duration of internship (minimum of 3 to maximum of 6 months): according to ICLEI policy and German law these internship positions are possible for a minimum of 3 months to maximum of 6 months (the intent to conduct a six months internship will receive preference)
• Equipment: do you have a laptop and access to the internet (for the home office period)?
• Location: where are you staying at the moment (during COVID-19 pandemic)? Please indicate the city and country (this is particularly important to ensure the intern and the supervisor can have a minimum number of in-person meetings at ICLEI premises in Bonn during the on-boarding phase).
Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI World Secretariat’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organization hires employees without regard to their gender, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, sexual orientation or socio-economic background. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely on the basis of their relevant qualifications and competencies.
Please kindly note, that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable. The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
|Duration of Appointment||3 to 6 months|
|Entry on Duty||01.08.2020|