Good transport connections
The federal city of Bonn is located in the middle of the European Rhine region. The Brussels area or the Rhine-Main region can be easily reached within one to two hours by high-speed ICE and THALYS trains or by car. In addition, the city is linked by no less than three international airports - Cologne/Bonn, Düsseldorf and Frankfurt/Main:
- Direct connections to Cologne/Bonn (25 minutes), Düsseldorf (60 minutes) and Frankfurt/Main (85 minutes) airports.
- Direct connections to the European high-speed rail network via Bonn's main train station or the Siegburg/Bonn ICE train station (about 2.5 hours Brussels Midi, one hour Frankfurt/Hbf. from Bonn center)
- Direct connections to the A3 and A61 freeways, additional freeway junctions on the Bonn city area A555 and A565
Expert opinion: Connection in Bonn good
For the first time, the German Institute of Urban Affairs (Difu) conducted a comprehensive survey of Bonn companies on behalf of the city of Bonn on the location of Bonn, the assessment of their own company development and the quality of municipal services (publication 12/2017). With regard to transport links overall, companies gave the location a school grade of 3.0. The best grades were given to links to national and international air traffic with 2.1 and 2.2 respectively, but public transport links with 2.7 and mobile phone structures also scored decently with 2.5. The most recent location survey conducted by the Bonn/Rhein-Sieg Chamber of Commerce and Industry in 2022 confirms Bonn's good connections in particular: Bonn companies are most satisfied with airport connections and accessibility (score of 2.5) and with road and highway connections and accessibility (score of 2.7). The connection, frequency and condition of public transport and DB are rated somewhat lower with a school grade of 3.2.
Workplace center Bonn
In 2021, 4.8 million people in North Rhine-Westphalia commuted to work across the borders of their place of residence, as determined by IT.NRW as the state statistics office on the basis of the 2021 commuter calculation. With 138,465 commuters (previous year 135,692), Bonn ranks fourth among NRW's single-commuter cities that attract the most employees. This means that Bonn's companies mainly cover their labor needs from the surrounding area and neighboring cities: 56.5 percent of all employees in Bonn are commuters. This means that Bonn ranks 6th among the 30 major cities in North Rhine-Westphalia in terms of the commuting rate; in the Rhine region, Düsseldorf, for example, achieves an even higher value of 60.1 percent. On the other hand, the commuting rate - i.e. the share of commuters in the workforce at the place of residence - is comparatively low in Bonn at 36.0 percent and corresponds to 22nd place among the major cities in NRW. Most commuters to Bonn come from the surrounding Rhein-Sieg district, especially from Sankt Augustin (7,060), Königswinter (6,623) and Bornheim (6,330). The largest commuting links with a city are with Cologne. From there, 16,026 employees commute daily to their workplace in Bonn, while 14,620 Bonn residents commute daily in the opposite direction to their workplace in Cologne.
Various construction measures such as highway construction sites and construction/rehabilitation measures are currently being carried out on the Deutsche Bahn network. With the completion of many measures, a considerable improvement in the quality of the transport system can be achieved. For example, many years of reconstruction work at Bonn Central Station have been completed. In air traffic, the number of passengers was still well below previous levels at 4.3 million in 2021 due to the Corona pandemic at Cologne/Bonn Airport. In 2022, the situation here continued to stabilize significantly and the number of travelers increased by plus 105.9 percent to 8.8 million passengers.
Furthermore, various measures are being implemented to modernize and expand the regional and municipal transport networks with the aim of ensuring that 75 percent of trips in Bonn are made on foot, by bike or by bus and train by 2030. To this end, the federal city is pursuing several local transportation projects in parallel, for example with the planning of the Westbahn, the new construction of the central bus station or the cable car to the Venusberg.
The Office for Economic Development of the City of Bonn is actively involved in a large number of mobility turnaround projects. Examples include:
- With the concept "Bönnsche Viertel - Living Spaces for People," the city of Bonn wants to enhance the spaces that become vacant by redesigning stationary and flowing traffic. Together with the citizens, the city wants to work out how this works best in the neighborhoods. The Inner Nordstadt and the Combahnviertel in Beuel are initially considered model neighborhoods. The Economic Development Department was involved in the workshop "Sustainable economic transport in the Bönnsche Viertel" on April 25, 2023. Representatives of logistics companies such as the DHL Group, business associations, retailers and initiatives from Bonn discussed issues relating to sustainable economic transport at the workshop. After all, innovative concepts for commercial and logistics transport play an important role in the mobility revolution.
- In addition, the Digital City department in the Office for Economic Development, together with the Child and Youth Participation department in the Citizen Participation Unit, made an active contribution to the "Bönnsche Viertel" project: for this, fine dust sensors were built on May 20, 2023 (Combahnviertel) and June 24, 2023 (Innere Nordstadt) together with randomly selected young people from the neighborhoods. The goal of the workshops was to get people excited about digitalization and technology, to apply it practically, and to use the data to get a measurable feel for the issue of particulate matter.
- Support in advertising and publicizing the regional company mobility management program "JOBWÄRTS". Its aim is to noticeably reduce traffic congestion in the greater Bonn area and encourage more people to travel to their place of work by bicycle, pedelec or bus and train. Currently, 40 employers participate in JOBWÄRTS, reaching over 70,000 employees.
There is a regular exchange with the business organizations, in particular the business development agency of the Rhine-Sieg district, the Bonn/Rhine-Sieg Chamber of Industry and Commerce, the Cologne Chamber of Crafts, the Bonn/Rhine-Sieg District Chamber of Crafts and the trade associations. The advisors of the Economic Development Agency continuously hold talks with companies with regard to their mobility needs and challenges.
In addition, the Bonn Economic Development Agency is active in various committees and working groups in order to incorporate information from business and industry into the city's activities, including:
- "Bonnbewegt": The "bonnbewegt" project is managed by the Euskirchen branch of Autobahn GmbH Rheinland. In order to coordinate the work of parallel construction measures well, there is the "bonnbewegt" project. Here, Autobahn GmbH works closely with the city of Bonn, the Rhein-Sieg district, the transport associations and many other partners.
- "Dialogue forum on mobility" event format
- IHK discussion groups, for example "Trade / Tourism / Urban Development"
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)